What is beef jerky?
Beef jerky is a slice of trimmed meat cut into thick strips and dried not to become unsuitable to use. A low-temperature method is required for jerky, and while drying, salt is sprinkled on it so that the growth of bacteria can be prevented. A beef jerky dehydrator is used to remove moisture from beef to be preserved for a long time
Today the food dehydrators are often convection ovens that use hot airflow to lower the moisture content of foods. Furthermore, removing moisture from food reduces the weight and, in some cases, the volume of the meal, making storage easier. Food dehydrators are thus used to preserve and prolong the shelf life of a wide range of foods. The heating element, fans, and vents of a dehydrator work together to direct hot air over the food, speed up surface evaporation, and warm the food, forcing moisture to escape from the interior. This process is repeated until the food has much lower water content, usually less than 20%. Jerky is produced from meat
Making beef using a beef jerky dehydrator
- Choose a clean piece of meat
- Cut off the extra fat from the meat as the fat will spoil the meat faster.
- Partially freeze the beef in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- After this, marinate it in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours for better taste and flavor.
- After marinating, drain and pat dry the jerky strips to avoid any moisture.
- Place the beef strips on the racks and avoid any overlapping.
- It takes 4-5 hours to dry while dehydrating. After this, turn the dehydrator to 165°. Switch off after 4 hours.
- The jerky will be done when it bends. After it’s done, let it cool for a couple of hours.
- Finally, after it is cooled, store the beef jerky in glass containers.
- Now you can have your meal
Jerky should not be left for too long as it may get bacterial and should be eaten within a few days. A beef jerky dehydrator is very useful as it prevents the moisture in food due to which food is not wasted and is used for more couple of days. It creates natural and healthy foods. This also results in efficient drying.